BIANET 18.6.2013 – Bar Associations Union of Turkey announced today that it will do a series of application international institutions regarding the judicial and administrative investigations on volunteer doctors by health ministry officials and excessive police force. Bar Associations Union of Turkey held an emergency board meeting after an appeal by its chairperson Metin Feyzioğlu.
The union board reached the following decisions by consensus:
* The union will apply to Council of Europe General Secretary concerning the tensive acts of the government and the practices of security forces reaching to a level of violence on citizens according to Article 52 of European Declaration of Human Rights.
* The union will also submit applications to other international institutions on the same matter.
* The union will submit judicial and administrative applications on those from Health Ministry who launched preliminary investigation processes on volunteer doctors during Gezi Park events.
* The union will submit judicial and administrative applications on officials who abused their duties by not forming emergency infirmaries during social unrests.
* Providing that social unrest resumed with the observation of unlawful practices [of the government], bar chairpersons will discuss the issue and submit further applications.
Article 52 of European Declaration of Human Rights on “Investigations held by General Secretary” cites the following:
“Every high signer of the convention is required to make necessary explanations on the practice of convention article in their domestic law upon a request by Council of Europe General Secretary.” The application based on Article 52 permits to inspect whether Turkey is adequately respecting the declaration. (AS/BM)