“Taken as a whole, these unprovoked attacks present a clear threat to international peace and security,” Mike Pompeo, the secretary of state, said on Thursday.“Taken as a whole, these unprovoked attacks present a clear threat to international peace and security,” Mike Pompeo, the secretary of state, said on Thursday.
13 June 2019 THE NEW YORK TIMES : WASHINGTON — Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Thursday that intelligence reviewed by American officials showed that Iran was responsible for attacks on two oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman, a critical waterway for the transit of much of the world’s petroleum.
Mr. Pompeo did not present any evidence of Iran’s involvement when announcing the findings at a news conference in Washington. The assertion is certain to fuel tensions between the Trump administration and Iranian leaders that have increased since early May, when the White House announced military movements in response to what American officials have said is a heightened threat from Iran.
Mr. Pompeo said the sabotage against the two tankers was only the latest in a series of recent violent acts by Iran.
“Taken as a whole, these unprovoked attacks present a clear threat to international peace and security,” he said.
The rapid escalation of tensions in early May between the United States and Iran took place around the time that four tankers were damaged by explosions at the mouth of the Persian Gulf, near the Strait of Hormuz. The violence that occurred in the same area early Thursday morning, which forced crews to abandon ship and left one vessel ablaze, was similar to the incidents from May.
Mr. Pompeo and John R. Bolton, the national security adviser, both said in late May that Iran was responsible for those attacks, though neither have presented evidence. On May 30, Mr. Pompeo told reporters that he had seen evidence of Iranian involvement and asserted “these were efforts by the Iranians to raise the price of crude oil throughout the world.”
Details of the incidents on Thursday have remained murky, as they have for the explosions in May.
Mr. Pompeo and Mr. Bolton have led the Trump administration in taking a hard stand on Iran. In May 2018, President Trump withdrew from a nuclear containment deal that the Obama administration and world powers reached with Iran in 2015. The United States reimposed harsh sanctions on Iran last November.
European allies have stayed in the nuclear deal and have urged Iran to do so, but President Hassan Rouhani said last month that Iran would start leaving parts of it, even though international agencies said Tehran had been abiding by all the terms until now.Mr. Trump has said in recent weeks that he was open to negotiations with Iran, though he has made no real effort to start talks. He has also said he could take military action. In late May, he announced he was sending an additional 1,500 troops to the Middle East, though that was far less than what some top administration officials had requested.