Human Rights Association (IHD) and Human Rights Foundation of Turkey (TIHV) issued a joint press release at IHD Istanbul Headquarters on 26 June – the International Day in support of Victims of Torture. Dr. Şebnem Korur Fincancı, TIHV chairman and forensic science specialist; Abdülbaki Boğa, IHD Istanbul Branch chief; Kıvanç Sert from the management of IHD Istanbul Branch and Hürriyet Şener from TIHV held keynote speeches at the conference.
537 Applications on torture in 2013The numbers from the statement:
* Last year, 869 individuals made applications to TIHV’S Rehab Centers on the grounds that they were tortured. 537 among them stated they were tortured in the same year.
* During the first five months of 2014, 384 individuals made applications on the grounds that they were tortured. 143 of them stated they were tortured in 2014.
* In the first five months of 2014, 3 suspicious deaths took place in custody.
* According to the data of TIHV and IHD Documentation Centers, the number of individuals exposed to the violence of police forces last year in custody, prisons or meetings and during the usage of demonstration freedom is 5 thousand 848.
*The number is 1120 by the first five months of 2014.
* The 2012-2013 term report of the Soldier Rights web site stated the half of 653 individuals lodging a complaint to the website ( about 326 individuals ) made their complaints in the same term on the grounds of tortures including thrashing, insult and threat, and maltreatment.
*Any of the lawsuits filed on grounds of the violation of the right to live, torture inhibition and human rights by the police during Gezi Park Protests have not led to a good result yet. Most of the complaints and denunciations made to the prosecutor offices have not resulted. (PA/AS/MEV/BM)
* 26 June, the International Day in support of Victims of Torture: United Nations approved the United Nations Convention Against Torture in 1984. After signed by sufficient number of states, the Convention came into effect in June 26, 1987.After 10 years from then, in 1997, UN General Assembly proclaimed June 26 as the International Day in support of Victims of Torture. Turkey approved the Convention against Torture in 1988.
* Click here to read the article in Turkish.